Gavavencsello Jewish Cemetery in Vencsello
There are two Jewish cemeteries in the modern territory of Gávavencsellő. This cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of Vencsellő and existed as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery’s territory is now abandoned, and only few gravestones are preserved. The only legible gravestone dates to 1891.
Gávavencsellő was established by the merger of two settlements in 1971: Gáva and Vencsellő. In 1840, there were only 11 Jewish residents in Vencsellő. However, the population of the Jewish community increased in the next 40 years. In 1880, among the town’s 2,290 residents, 131 were Jews. In 1944, the Jewish community of Vencsellő had 54 members, 10 of whom were taxpayers, and employed one person. In the same year, the Orthodox community of Gáva had 178 members, with 33 taxpayers, and employed two people whose houses were the property of the community. In 1944, Jews from the settlement were taken to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto.