Garliava Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest tombstone dates to the first half of the 20th century, so it can be assumed it was founded in that era.
Garliava (Pl. Godlewo, Yid. גודלעווע) emerged in the early 19th century, and Jews were among the first settlers. In 1897, the Jewish population was 469, or 49% of the total. The town was burnt down during WWI. In the interwar period, there was a Jewish emigration to the US, Canada, South Africa and Palestine. The community maintained a beit-midrash, a Hebrew school and a Yiddish school. About 70 Jewish families remained in Garliava before WWII. All of them were murdered by the Germans and their Lithuanian allies.