Esen’ Jewish Cemetery
Presumably the Jewish Cemetery of Esen’ was established during the late 19th century. The oldest preserved tombstones date to 1930s. The cemetery was barely damaged during WWII or in the post-war Soviet period. It was not in use after WWII.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Esen’ in the mid-19th century. In 1851, the Jewish population of Esen’ was 24. There was an active synagogue in the town. In 1880, the Jewish population had increased to 111 (7% of the total population). In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population was increasing. Hungarians arrived in Esen’ in March 1939. By 1941, the local Jewish population had reached its peak. In 1941, Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In August 1941, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Esen’ were deported to Auschwitz in mid-May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.