Egyek Jewish Cemetery 1
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Egyek. This cemetery was established after 1870, since it does not appear on the cadastral map of that year. The oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1871, however it was presumably moved to the territory from the other cemetery prior to its destruction. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery was erected in 1940. The cemetery has been fenced and a Holocaust memorial was unveiled in 2014.
Egyek is a village in Hajdú-Bihar County. Most of the village’s Jews were engaged in trade, while others were artisans, and later farmers and private officials. In 1860, the community purchased a plot of land for a cemetery, established the Chevra Kadisha (burial society), and opened a cheder. In 1880, Jews accounted for 124 people of the village’s total population of 3,639. Thirty years later, in 1910, there were 142 Jews living in the village. The synagogue was built in 1905, which has, unfortunately, since been demolished. 115 Jews lived in the village in 1920 and 123 in 1930. In 1941, Jews accounted for 107 people in the village (of 7,473) 1941. During the White Terror, Jewish shops were smashed, and stones were thrown at the synagogue. In 1938, the authorities revoked the industrial license of Jews, following which the pub and the tobacco shop were closed. A Jewish shopkeeper was prohibited from selling sugar, flour, and soap. Later, land was expropriated from the Jews. The Orthodox community of Egyek had 86 members in 1944, including 20 of whom were taxpayers. The president of the community was Arnold Domán. The community did not have a rabbi, and only employed a caretaker.