Dunaivtsi Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Khmelnytskyy
District
Dunaivtsi
Settlement
Dunaivtsi
Site address
Dunaivtsi Old Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
48.89310,26.83719
Perimeter length
412 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery. Private houses are built over the cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was not marked on old maps. There are no visible traces of the cemetery and its boundaries today. In 1871–72, the Jewish community purchased a plot for a Jewish cemetery. Jews are known from the 17th century. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Jews were engaged in trade, rent and crafts, such as weaving shoemaking, painting, etc. The Jewish community of Dunayivtsi was destroyed twice. First, in 1648-49, during the Khmelnytskyi massacre and, later, in the 1760s, during the Haidamak rebellions. In 1748, the Jews of Dunayivtsi suffered a blood libel accusation. In 1765, 1,129 Jews lived in Dunayivtsi. The Jewish community of Dunayivtsi consisted of 2,020 people and maintained two synagogues in 1847. In 1890, the number of synagogues increased to eleven. By the same time, a Jewish hospital, Talmud-Torah and heders were in function. A Jewish vocational school for girls (in 1903) and boys (in 1907) were opened. Two printing houses operated in 1906. The Jewish population reached a peak of 9,221 (70,7% of the total population) in 1910. In the 1920s, secret Zionist youth organizations and a Hehalutz group functioned. In 1926, the Jewish population reduced to 5,186 (60,5% of the total), presumably, due to the migration of over 200 Jewish families to an agricultural cooperative in Crimea. In 1933, 362 Jews were employed in the Jewish kolkhoz. In 1932–33, the Jewish population suffered from hunger. In 1939, 4,478 Jews (68,2% of the total population) were the residents of the town. During the Wehrmacht occupation in 1941, the Jews of Dunayivtsi and the neighbouring villages were imprisoned in a ghetto. Over 7,000 Jews were executed or buried alive in the area of ​​the Solonich forest. Approximately 12,000 Jews were murdered in the town during WWII. Few Jewish families returned after WWII. In 1948, a secret minyan was gathering. In the 1970s and 80s, Jews of Dunayivtsi left for Israel and the US.