Dubrynychi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zakarpattia
District
Perechyn
Settlement
Dubrynychi
Site address
Dubrynychi Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
48.81868, 22.49172
Perimeter length
132 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
Fencing installed by ESJF (June 2017).
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is in good condition. The territory is cleared of vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
50
Date of oldest tombstone
1836
Date of newest tombstone
1938
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Dubrynychi was established in the 18th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1836. The cemetery was used until WWII, and the most recently preserved gravestone dates to 1938.

Jews are believed to have arrived in Dubrynychi in the first half of the 18th century. In 1746 there was only one Jewish family lived in the village. In 1880 the Jewish population numbered around 85 (near about 8% of a total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had increased to 121. In 1920 to 1930, there were three Jewish alehouses, five Jewish shops and one flour mill. Hungarian forces arrived in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. From 1940 to 1941, Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In 1941, the Jewish population numbered 105 individuals. In the same year, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kaminets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Dubrynychi were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.