Drobin New Jewish Cemetery
The new Jewish cemetery of Drobin was established most likely in the middle or at the end of the 19th century, north of the Jewish district. It was in use until the end of the Second World War. The cemetery was destroyed during the occupation. The tombstones were used to pave the streets. After the war, a warehouse for an agricultural cooperative operated in part of the former necropolis. In 1960, at the initiative of Rabbi Abraham D. Feffer, some tombstones were taken out of the street cobblestones and placed back in the cemetery. In 1964, a matzevah-shaped monument commemorating the Jews of Drochin was erected in the necropolis. In 1975, the cemetery was cleaned up and fenced by the Jewish religious community. Currently, the cemetery is owned by the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland and is maintained from time to time.
Drobin was granted town rights in 1511. Until the 18th century, it belonged to the Kryski family. Jews began to settle there in the second half of the 17th century. In 1757, there was an independent Jewish community already in Drobin. In 1794, Jews constituted 55% of the total population, and in 1808 – over 90%. In 1921, the community numbered 1,095 people, which made up 45% of the total population. During World War II, there was a ghetto and a labor camp in the town. In 1941, about 50% of the Jews were transported to Działdowo and then to Piotrków Trybunalski. Most of them died at Auschwitz. In December 1942, 700 people were relocated to the ghetto in Nowe Miasto near Płońsk, and the rest to the ghetto in Strzegów. Approximately 50-60 Jews from Drobin survived the war. The murder of a Jewish family in 1945 in nearby Raciąż prevented the surviving community from returning to their former hometown.