Domanivka Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. But since it is depicted on Russian topographic maps of 1880s it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged in the second half of the 19th century. It existed at least from late 19th century, as the oldest found tombstone shows. There is no information about the foundation of the Jewish community in Domanivka. In 1897, 903 Jews (79% of the total population) resided in the town. By 1923, the Jewish population numbered 889, but had dropped to 369 in 1939. In 1930, five Jewish kolkhozes were functioning. Domanivka was occupied by the Wehrmacht on August 5, 1941. A camp for local Jews who had not been evacuated, as well as for Jews from the region of Krivoozers’k and town of Peschanka, Vinnytsia region, and thousands Jews from Transnistria (among them 160 Jews from Kishinev) was established. Thousands of Jews from Odessa were deported to this camp in 1942. According to different sources, from 20,000 to 52,000 Jews were murdered here. In 1994, a monument in honour of the victims was erected.