Dobromil Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map from the 1850s and 1939. Presumably, the cemetery was operating in the early 20th century. It can be supposed that it was demolished during or after WWII.
The Jews were first mentioned in 1570. A Jewish community, which emerged in the 16th century, was subordinated to the Peremyshlyany kehila. Agricultural trade was one of the main areas the Jews were engaged in. In 1612, the Jewish community received permission to build a synagogue. In the 1720s, Yithok Segal and his son Meir served as rabbis in Dobromil. In 1765, 1,253 Jews lived in Dobromil. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Jewish children attended German-Jewish vocational school. In the 19th century, five synagogues were operating, two of which were Hasidic. In 1860 under Austrian administration, the Jewish population declined to 850 (53% of the total population) due to taxes and lower incomes. By 1870, it had increased to 1,884 (62% of the total population) and had grown to 2,035 (63% of the total population) by 1890, when industry had developed in the town. The Jewish population reached 2,271 (63% of the total population) by 1910. Zionist organisations became active in 1908, and the association”Theodor Herzl” was established. In 1921, the Jewish population dropped to 2,119 (62% of the total population). Wehrmacht units occupied Dobromil on June 28, 1941. Around 200 Jews were burned in the synagogue, and the remaining population was murdered on July 29, 1942. From October 1941 until July 29, 1942, a ghetto was functioning. 3,000 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec. After the end of the Nazis’ occupation, 25 Jews returned.