Dmytrivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Chernihiv
District
Bakhmach
Settlement
Dmytrivka
Site address
Dmytrivka Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
50.93726,32.9422
Perimeter length
405 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over. The majority of the site is now in agricultural use. The southeastern part of the cemetery is now occupied by a private house.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved. A fragment of the gravestone can be found in the backyard of house 9, 1-t Yablunevyy Lane.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Low
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It cannot be found marked on old maps of the region. In 1994 there was a granite tombstone with Hebrew inscriptions on the site. However, this could not be located by the ESJF survey team in 2020. According to a local historian, the cemetery was demolished in the mid 20th century.

Dmytrivka was established in 1643. It became a part of the Russian Empire in 1667. According to the 1897 census, the town was home to 438 Jews (68% of the total population). In 1900, the rabbi was Elya-Benyamin Shumyatsky. Prior to WWI, the rabbi was Meir Stolovich. Before WWII, in 1939, the town was home to only 196 Jews. Dmytrivka was occupied from September 1941 to 1943. As of 2017, the total population numbered 2,301. The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It is not marked on old maps of the region. It is said that in 1994 there was a granite tombstone with Hebrew inscriptions on the site. According to a local historian, the cemetery was demolished in the mid-20th century.