Czyzew Old Jewish Cemetery
The first Jewish cemetery of Choroszcz was probably established in the 17th century about 150 meters away from the market square at the intersection of Mickiewicza and Lipowa Street. It covered an area of approximately 0.3 hectares. According to the sources, the cemetery existed until World War II (until 1941 or 1942), when it was completely destroyed by the Germans. Currently, there is no trace of the necropolis, and a public square has been constructed there. There is also a shop in the southern corner.
Choroszcz was granted town rights in 1507. The first record of Jews in the town come from 1556. Initially, the Jewish community was part of the Tykocin kehillah (independent Jewish council or congregation), but an independent kehilla for them was established at the end of the 16th century. In 1771, out of 126 properties, 43 belonged to Jews. From the 18th century onwards, the town served as the summer residence for the Branicki family. Like the previous owners, the Pac family, the Branicki family accepted the presence of Jews in Choroszcz. In the 18th century, Jews constituted about 26% to 30% of the population. In 1886, the Jewish population increased to 765 people, which constituted 50.6% of the total population. In the 1890s, a large group of Lithuanians, expelled from the central provinces of Russia, came to the town. The influence of the Haskalah movement was also visible.
In 1939, Jews constituted only about 15% of the total population. During World War II, an open ghetto was established in the town. In November 1942, local Jews were relocated to the ghetto in Białystok, from where they were transported to the extermination camp at Treblinka in 1943.