Czerwinsk Nad Wisla Old Jewish Cemetery
The old Jewish cemetery in Czerwińsk was established in the first half of the 19th century and covered an approximate area of 0.8 hectares. It was destroyed during World War II. After the war, the area was designated for a housing development. No tombstones have survived, and the layout of the cemetery is currently imperceptible.
Czerwińsk was founded in 1363 under Chełmno law, although the settlement already belonged to the bishops of Płock. It was granted town rights in 1582. Jews began to settle there at the end of the 18th century, and they lived in the south-eastern part of the town. In 1808, 72 Jews lived there and by 1867 their number increased to 319 (37.9% of the population). Before World War II, the Jewish community numbered 425 people (24.7%). After the outbreak of the war, many Jews fled the town in 1940. A ghetto was created in the town, in which approximately 3,400 Jews from Czerwińsk nearby towns, including Wyszogród and Warsaw, were confined. In June 1941 and October 1942, the Jews were sent to the Nowy Dwór Ghetto and then to the death camp in Auschwitz Birkenau.