Czerwinsk Nad Wisła New Jewish Cemetery
The new Jewish cemetery in Czerwińsk was established around 1935, after the old cemetery became overcrowded. It covered an area of 0.30 hectares and was located about a kilometre from the town centre, behind the parish ditch, on the southern side of Polna Street. The cemetery was destroyed during World War II. No tombstones have survived. Currently, there are fields there. The layout of the former cemetery is imperceptible.
Czerwińsk was founded in 1363 under Chełmno law, although the settlement already belonged to the bishops of Płock. It was granted town rights in 1582. Jews began to settle there at the end of the 18th century, and they lived in the south-eastern part of the town. In 1808, 72 Jews lived there and by 1867 their number increased to 319 (37.9% of the population). Before World War II, the Jewish community numbered 425 people (24.7%). After the outbreak of the war, many Jews fled the town in 1940. A ghetto was created in the town, in which approximately 3,400 Jews from Czerwińsk nearby towns, including Wyszogród and Warsaw, were confined. In June 1941 and October 1942, the Jews were sent to the Nowy Dwór Ghetto and then to the death camp in Auschwitz Birkenau.