Csengerujfalu 1 Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Hungary
Region
Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg
District
Csengeri
Settlement
Csengerújfalu
Site address
Inside the municipal cemetery, Kossuth Lajos Street without numbering.
GPS coordinates
47.808183, 22.631154
Perimeter length
85 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The territory is a little overgrown with bushes and trees, the tombstone fragments are visible among them.
Number of existing gravestones
About 10. The surveying team marked 0 tombstones, but the photos show several fragments which strongly resemble gravestones. Clearing could reveal more.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

There were (allegedly) two Jewish cemeteries in Csengerújfalu, although only one of them appears on the cadastral map of 1892.

The first Jews (only 8 people) settled in the village in 1840. By around 1880, the Jewish population increased to 46, but decreased by 1941 when only 13 Jewish people remained in the village. Over Pesach in 1944, the Jews of Csengerújfalu were transported to the Mátészalka Ghetto, and then were deported to Auschwitz.