Chynadiyevo Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Chynadiyevo was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1942. The cemetery was used after WWII: the latest preserved gravestone dates to 1958.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Chynadiyevo in the early 18th century after the anti-Hungarian uprising was defeated. In 1729 the owners of area, the Schonborn family, imposed taxes on Jews. In 1877, there were 130 Jews living in the town (15% of the total population). Jews were engaged in commerce (sales of meat, distilled spirits, and ground cereals). In 1910, the Jewish population had increased to 295 individuals. Hungarian forces arrived in Chynadiyevo in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 340 Jews living in Chynadiyevo in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. A number of Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. In April of 1944, the remaining local Jews were confined to the ghetto of Mukachevo. The remaining Jews of Chynadiyevo were deported to Auschwitz in May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.