Chuhuiv Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given that the oldest preserved tombstone dates to the late 19th century, it can be gathered the cemetery was founded before/in that era. According to local historian Meir Landau, the tombstones belonged to cantonists. He also stated that certain Kharkiv citizens seized and privatized the land on which there are still matzevot (inside the fence); the City Council did not interfere and there are concerns that the cemetery will not be looked after or preserved by them.
The city of Chuhuiv (Ukr. Чугуїв, Rus. Чугуев, Yid. טשוהוּיעוו) had a small Jewish community: only 187 Jews lived there in 1897, when the total population was 12,600. In 1939, Chuhuiv had a Jewish population of 277.
The Germans captured Chuhuiv in October 1941. 32 Jews were murdered in January–February 1942. According to the 2001 census, there were 38 Jewsliving in Chuhuiv and the surrounding areas.
The cemetery was likely established in the late 19th century. The oldest tombstone dates back to 1893.