Chorzele Jewish Cemetery
The Chorzele Jewish cemetery was established by at least the second half of the 19th century and was located southwest of the town centre. It covered an area of about 0.9 hectares and was shaped like a trapezoid. The cemetery was maintained by the local Chevra Kadisha (burial society). Based on a post-war initiative to recover tombstones, it is known that the tombstones were made of sandstone, field stones, concrete, marble, and even terrazzo. During World War II, the Germans devastated the cemetery and used the matzevot to harden the sidewalks. A place for exercise was established in the cemetery, and the western part was used for burying German soldiers. After the war, the tombstones were destroyed by the locals.
Cleaning work was carried out in the cemetery in 1989. At that time, the Social Committee for the Renewal of the Jewish Cemetery was established under the leadership of the mayor, Ludwik Rogowski. The activities of the committee were also supported by the local priest. A monument made of matzevot recovered from the town and found during renovation of Mostowa Street was unveiled in 1991. The creator of the monument was the Association of Jews from Chorzele in Israel. In 2006, a plaque dedicated to the family of Dawid Fiszerung, an Auschwitz survivor, was unveiled at the cemetery. Several matzevot from the Chorzele cemetery were used to erect a monument at the Jewish cemetery in Przasnysz.
Chorzele was granted town privileges in 1542. The beginnings of Jewish settlement date back to the end of the 18th century. In 1792, Jews constituted 2.6% of the total population, and by 1827, the number of Jews increased to 35.4% of the total population. Towards the beginning of the 1930s, an independent kehilla (organized Jewish community) was established in the town. In 1905, Jews constituted 57% of the total population (2,301 people). During World War I, the Russians displaced Jews from the town and many of them found shelter in Przasnysz. Zionist sentiment, intensified after the war, led a large part of the community (about 150 people) left for Israel. During World War II, a ghetto was established in the town. Until December 1941, Jews were gradually deported from there to other cities and towns, including Warsaw, Maków Mazowiecki, Legionowo, Węgrów, and Mława, from where most of them were deported to Treblinka or Auschwitz in the following year.