Chortkiv Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Ternopyl
District
Chortkiv
Settlement
Chortkiv
Site address
Chortkiv Old Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
49.01677, 25.79165
Perimeter length
507 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery. The cemetery site is overbuilt. There is a hospital on its western part, and there are private houses on its northern and southern parts. The central part of the site is a public park. The remnants of one gravestone were found in the site.
Number of existing gravestones
1
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a tsiyun of Rabbi David Moshe of Chortkiv (died in 1904) on the cemetery site, constructed by the Ohalei Tzadikim — Gader Avot union.
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to IAJGS, the cemetery emerged in the 17th century. The cemetery was vandalised during WWII.
The Jews were known in Chortkiv since the early 17th century. 50 Jewish families suffered Khmelnytskyi massacres of 1648-1649. 746 Jews resided in Chortkiv in 1765. In the mid-18th century, the Jewish community became independent. Earlier it subordinated to the Lviv Kehilla. The local Jews were engaged in tradings and crafts. In 1860, a Hasidic court was founded by Rabbi David Moshe Friedman. The Jewish population stood at 3,106 (68,5% of the total population) in 1890. The Zionists came to the town in 1897. The Bund was active in Chortkiv in the early 20th century. In 1910, 2,907 Jews were inhabitants of Chortkiv. During WWI, 5,000 refugees flooded, 35% of whom perished after the epidemics. At the same time, the orphanage was established. The peak of the Jewish population was 5,869 (30,7% of the total population) in 1935. The commercial activity was prohibited after the Soviet annexation. Many young Jews were drafted into the Soviet army. On June 6, 1941, the Wermacht troops occupied Chortkiv. A pogrom started by local Ukrainians claimed the lives of 300 Jews. In April 1942, a ghetto was founded. A labour camp operated in the town. In June and September 1943, the ghetto and the labour camp were liquidated. On August 27, 1943, around 2,000 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp. About 100 Jews survived the war.