Chornyy Ostriv Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on Russian topographic maps of the 1870s, but the oldest preserved gravestone relates to the mid-19th century. Later, it was marked on maps of 1902 and 1917.
Jews presumably settled in the early 18th century. In 1765, 226 Jews resided in Chornyy Ostriv and surrounding villages. In 1847, the Jewish population stood at 1,186, and according to the census of 1897, 2,216 Jews (79% of the total population) lived in the town. In the 19th century, annual fairs were organised in Chornyy Ostriv. Brewing, carpentry, potassic, mechanic and brick plants operated as well. It can be supposed that Jews of Chornyy Ostriv were involved in commerce or worked in the listed plants. A private male Jewish vocational school functioned. The fate of the Jewish community of Chornyy Ostriv during WWII is unknown.