Chervonohrad Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. But since it appears on Austro-Hungarian maps of 1779-1783, it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged in the 18th century. It was also marked on maps of the 1860s and 1880s. Later it appears on Polish maps of 1939.
The Jews settled in Chervonohrad at the end of the 17th century. The Jewish population was 759 in 1765. The Jews of Chervonohrad were engaged in trade (mostly grain trade). The Jewish community became independent in the second half of the 18th century. By that time, the community had a rabbi and a synagogue. Only Belz Hasidism was present in Chervonohrad. In 1908, the first Zionist organizations were opened. At the beginning of WWI, the Cossack troops staged a pogrom. Many Jewish houses were burnt, and all the Jewish shops were looted. The Jewish population reduced to 2,086 (74,3% of the total population) in 1921, compared to 2,651 (75,2% of the total population) in 1900. In the interwar period, the Zionists opened youth organizations, a library and Hebrew courses. In 1939, most of the local Jews left the town when the Soviet army retreated. They settled in Soviet Ukraine. In summer 1940, many of them were deported to the other parts of the Soviet Union.