Cherkasy Old Jewish cemetery
Cherkasy Old Jewish Cemetery
865 metres. Perimeter is approximate according to a he old map. The fenced perimeter is about 280 meters.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Type of the fence
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The larger section of the cemetery was demolished and built over with private houses. The preserved area is well-maintained; most of the site is very clear. Some of the tombstones are partially sunken in the ground. The tall trees around the site were recently cut down. Some tombstones were seriously damaged in the process, and fallen branches still litter the site in places. There is refuse scattered about the cemetery and inside the ohel. Some tombstones are located outside the fence to the North-East.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel with a tsiyun dedicated to the old cemetery and Rabbi Yaakov Israel, son of Rabbi Mordekhai of Chernobyl, installed by the "Ohalei Tzadikim — Gader Avot" organisation.
According to a Russian topographic map from 1929, Cherkasy Old Jewish Cemetery was once much bigger to the North-East. The oldest preserved tombstone dates to the first half of the 20th century so it can be assumed that the cemetery was founded in that period. According to local testimony, the destroyed part of the cemetery was demolished less than 60 years ago.