Cegneydanyad Jewish Cemetery One
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Cégénydányád, both of which appeared on the cadastral maps of 1896. The oldest tombstone found in the new cemetery dates to 1904, while the latest one dates to 1932. The cemetery was destroyed (probably during World War II), but several tombstones have been preserved by local residents.
Cégénydányád is a settlement in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county. In 1880, among the village’s population of 760, 61 were Jewish. In 1920, there were no more than 38 Jews living in Cégénydányád. By 1941, Jews accounted for 52 residents of the village’s total population of 1,017. According to information from April 1944, the Jewish community did have a communal fund and, as such, the repair costs of the synagogue were covered by donations. The members paid church tax to the community of Fehérgyarmat, which was 311 Pengő in 1943. Other members of the congregation who were poor did not pay taxes and received support from the community.
On May 31st, 1944, many Jews from the area boarded trains in Mátészalka and were sent to death camps, including the Jews of Cégénydányád. The synagogue in Cégénydányád was demolished.