Cakovci Jewish cemetery
The first Jewish settlers came to the village at end of the 19th century. There is no other information about the Jewish population in the village. The Jewish cemetery was abandoned after World War II, though it still exists today. There are only a few tombstones, most of which are in poor condition. The oldest tombstone dates to 1909 and the most recent to 1933.
Čakovci is a village in the municipality of Tompojevci in Vukovar-Srijem County. The first recorded mention of the village was in 1332, at which time it was called Čak. Under Turkish rule, the population of the region was small, and the village was empty. Only after liberation, at the end of the 17th century, was the village inhabited by settlers from Bosnia. In 1723, there were only 30 houses in Čakovci. During the 19th century, the region developed in the fields of animal husbandry and agriculture. A few families from Hungary and other areas of Croatia settled in the village. In 1910 there were 895 people living in Čakovci.