Butrimonys Jewish Cemetery
Given the oldest preserved tombstone dates to 1887, it can be inferred the cemetery was founded no later than the late 19th century.
Butrimonys (Pl. Butrymańce, Yid. בוטרימאַנץ) had a Jewish population of 282 as early as 1760. The Haskalah spread in the 1880s. The town had a yeshiva and a private Russian-language Jewish school. There were two beit-midrash. Zionism was strong even in the Hovevei Zion era. The Jewish population reached its peak at 1,919, or 80% of the total, in 1897. According to the first census of independent Lithuania, there were 943 Jews, or 58% of the total population, in Butrimonys in 1923. A Hebrew school was opened in 1920 and was open until the Soviet occupation in 1940. At the time of the German invasion in 1941, there were 750 Jews in Butrimonys. The Jews were beaten, raped, robbed and seized for forced labour. A ghetto was created on August 29. On September 9, all of the Jews of Butrimonys as well as Jews from Stakliškės and Birštonas were shot and buried in two pits. 1,400 people were killed in a matter of a few hours.