Burzenin Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Burzenin is located to the left of the road from Witowo to Kopanina, within the village of Sambórz, and has an acreage of 0.5 hectares. The cemetery was founded in the 18th century although the exact date is unknown. Until 1812 the cemetery in Burzenin was also the burial site for Jews from Sieradz, as they did not have their own cemetery. The cemetery was destroyed during World War II. Today there are no remaining tombstones, and the area is wooded. There is a small plaque marking the site of the cemetery.
Previously a city, Burzenin was founded before 1378 and its status was downgraded in 1870. The first recoded mentions of Jews in the town dates to 1764. In 1827 the town had 130 Jewish residents (25% of the total population), and 383 in 1859 (49.5%). In 1921 the Jewish community in Burzenin had 228 residents (19.9%). Autonomous kehilla (organized Jewish community) buildings were only established in the 19th century. Earlier the kehilla was part of the Jewish community in Sieradz county. In September 1939, the town was occupied by German forces. Jews were transported to ghettos in Zduńska Wola and Pabianice, and later to the death camp in Chełmno.