Brech Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Chernihiv
District
Koriukivka
Settlement
Brech
Site address
From the 34 Shkil’na Street, turn onto a dirt road and proceed for 200 metres to the intersection. From here, carry on west into the woods for 100 metres.
GPS coordinates
51.73104, 32.33869
Perimeter length
497 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery site is located in the woods, and is blanketed by fallen leaves. A number of gravestones are partially sunken in the ground.
Number of existing gravestones
6. The tombstones are barely legible.
Date of oldest tombstone
The only date found is 1925 (presumably).
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s foundation is unknown. Although it can not be found marked on old maps of the region, the preserved tombstone dates to the beginning of the 20th century.

Brech was founded in 1847 as a Jewish agricultural colony. At the end of 19th century, there was a population of 148. The main occupation of Jews was trade and commerce. According to the 1987, the village was home to 14 non-Orthodox inhabitants. In 1925, a primary school was opened on the premises of a former synagogue. The exact period of the cemetery’s foundation is unknown. It should be mentioned that it is not marked on old maps of the region. However, the oldest preserved tombstone dates to the beginning of the 20th century. The cemetery is no longer in use; it was demolished by German troops. After the war, Jews were buried in the Snovs’k cemetery.

View 3D model