Bratolyubivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kirovohrad
District
Dolynskyi
Settlement
Bratolyubivka
Site address
Cemetery is adjacent to a house or located on the territory of the site belonging to it. Follow the road leading southeast from Kropyvnitskyi, continuing through Novhorodka, into Bratolyubivka. Turn left on Myru Street and continue along the road for around 700 metres. THe cemetery can be found in a garden to the left of the road.
GPS coordinates
48.211311,32.962298
Perimeter length
344 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The site of the cemetery is a field now. It is covered with seasonal vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
No
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s construction and demolition are unknown. It can be found marked on a German map of the region from 1940. It was most likely demolished during and after WWII. Locals were certain this site was once home to a Jewish cemetery. According to one resident, some tombstones still remained on the site as late as the 1970s. The land on which the cemetery was once located now belongs to Tamara Hordienko.

Bratolyubivka (also called Lisanevicheva and Spravnytska) was established in the second half of the 18th century. From 1802, the region belonged to the Kherson Governorate (Khersonskaya gubernia).
In 1897, the population of Bratolyubivka numbered 2330 people, with 1193 Jewish residents among them. A synagogue was built in the early 19th century, with another in 1898. A chevra kadisha is known to have existed since the 1840’s. In 1909, 75 students were educated in 6 chadarim, with 20 students in a talmud-torah. In 1912, a Jewish loan bank was established. The Jewish population of Bratolyubivka dropped rapidly after the 1917 Revolutions and the civil war of 1918-21, numbering only 45 people in 1926.

Following the German occupation in August 1941, the few remaining Jews were apparently murdered immediately.

In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Bratolyubivka became a part of the independent Ukraine.

The Jewish cemetery of Bratolyubivka, established around 1840, is totally demolished.

View 3D model