Boyany Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was marked on maps of the 1860s and 1880s. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII.
Jews settled in Boyany in the early 19th century. Three Jewish families lived there in 1807. In 1886, a tzadik Itzhak Friedman of Sadigora (1849-1917, Vienna) established a Hasidic court. Boyany, subsequently, became one of the Hasidic centres of Bukovina. The Hasids from Bukovina and Galicia came to study in a local yeshiva. The first Zionist organisation Ohavei Zion functioned from the late 19th century until the 1930s. In 1890, the Jewish population grew to 938 in 1890 and reached its peak of 2,573 in 1913. In a 1914 fire, a Jewish quarter and a Hassidic court were destroyed. The Jewish population severely reduced to 118 in 1930. In the interwar period, a new synagogue was built. In the 1920s, a Jewish commune was created. The charity organisations and Yidishe Lezehalle operated. On July 7-8, 1941, 86 Jews were murdered. The rest were deported to Transnistria. Around 35 Jews survived.