Botpalad New Jewish Cemetery
The new Jewish cemetery in Botpalád appears to have been opened in the 1910’s, since the old cemetery was most probably closed around that time. The earliest found tombstone in the cemetery dates to 1917, while the most recent tombstone dates to 1921. The Jewish community, however, is known to have existed until the 1940’s.
Botpalád is a village in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county. In 1880, the village had 44 Jewish residents, at which time the total population was 830. By 1910, the Jewish community increased to 52, however after this year, the number of Jews in the village began to decline. By 1941, among the town’s total population of 939, only 15 Jews remained in the village.