Boryslav Municipal Cemetery – Jewish Section
The Jewish Section on the Boryslav municipal cemetery was organized at the beginning of the 20 Century. It was established after the Boryslav Old Jewish Cemetery was closed. The cemetery is still operating.
The Jews started to settle down in Boryslav from the early 19th century. In the second half of the 19th century, two synagogues and a Jewish cemetery were operated. In 1890, the Jewish population stood up 7,363 (79% of the total population). From the mid-19th century until 1914, the Jewish population was mainly worked in oil fields. In 1910, the Jewish community consisted of 5753 people (45% of the total population). In 1891, a Jewish vocational school, funded by Baron Hirsch, was opened. In the interwar period, the Jewish community faced an economic crisis. In 1921, the Jews numbered 10,149 (32,5% of the total population). The Zionism movement was active in the city during these days. By 1939, about 13,000 Jews resided in Boryslav. On July 1, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied the city and organised a Jewish ghetto. The pogroms in the early days of July 1941, took lives of 350 Jews. During the actions on 29-30 November 1941, 1,500 Jews were executed. In August 1942, 5,000 Jews were deported to Belzec death camp. Boryslav ghetto was liquidated in May-June 1943. After the end of WWII, around 400 Jews returned to the city from the surrounding forests, camps and evacuation. Many of them migrated to Palestine and other countries. According to the Jewish Agency, the estimated Jewish population of Boryslav in 1994 was 300 (0.1% of the total population).