Boleslawiec Jewish Cemetery
Bolesławiec (formerly a city) was founded before 1266, and its city status was downgraded in 1870. The first records of Jewish settlement in Bolesławiec date to the mid-17th century. In 1859, 314 Jews lived in the city, constituting 30% of the population. 650 Jews lived there in 1921, 504 in 1939, and 474 in 1940. During World War II, at the end of August 1941, all the Jews were deported to ghettos in the General Government. After the war, 8 survivors returned to the town. However, they were murdered by unidentified perpetrators.
The cemetery is located about 1 km south of Bolesławiec (currently in Kolonia Bolesławiec Chróścin), on the right side of the road to Byczyn, near the slope of the Prosna River valley, in the forest behind the lumber yards. The cemetery’s exact establishment date is unknown. It was established in the 19th century. It was destroyed by the Germans during World War II. In the area of cemetery (approximately 0.58 hectares), fragments of 10 tombstones have survived, the oldest of which dates to 1883. The cemetery remains completely devastated.