Bolekhiv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Ivano-Frankivsk
District
Settlement
Bolekhiv
Site address
The cemetery is located on a hill behind the house at 4, Dovzhans'ka Street. Enter the site through the private house.
GPS coordinates
49.0575, 23.85766
Perimeter length
585 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a plastered stone wall of three metres height. The cemetery gates should be replaced, its lock is broken.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-maintained. Old oaks grow there. The site is used for cattle grazing.
Number of existing gravestones
1,500
Date of oldest tombstone
1734 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1944
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There are three tsiyunim on the cemetery. One is dedicated to Rabbi Aharon Meir (died in 1901), Rabbi Shlomo Yehuda Friedlander and Rabbanith Rosha (died in 1916). The second is an original gravestone of Rabbi Aharon Meir. The third is dedicated to Rabbi Yoseph Pinhas Segal Landau, a judge of Bolekhiv.
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the VAAD research, the oldest gravestone relates to 1615, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. It was not marked on old maps. The fence was installed in 2009 by Bolekhiv the partnership of Jewish heritage Avotenu.