Blaszki Old Jewish Cemetery
Błaszki was founded in the 14th century. It is not known when precisely Jewish settlement began in the area. The first historical mention of Jewish residents dates back to 1717. When the town became the property of the Lipscy family during the mid-18th century, the number of Jewish residents increased. In 1764, there were 247 Jewish residents, in 1808 – 259, and in 1835, approximately 900 Jews. Błaszki’s Jews settled mainly in the western part of town square, where the first synagogue was built. The earliest records of the synagogue are from 1806. The first cemetery was located to the northwest of the synagogue. The increase in the number of Jewish residents in Błaszki which began in the 18th century continued uninterrupted until the end of the 19th century. In the 1860s, Jewish residents comprised of 60% of the total population. Tragically, the Second World War brought an end to local Jewish history. As early as the beginning of September 1939, Germans arrested ten of the most important members of the kehilla, and executed them at the Jewish cemetery. On December 20th 1939, the Błaszki Jews were transported to the General Government areas.
Presumably the cemetery is located in the administrative area of Wilczkowice, Błaszki county, approx. 2.5 km from the center of Błaszki, in a field by the road behind the house plot numbered Wilczkowice 7 in the direction of Zaborów.
The founding date of the old Jewish cemetery is not known. According to available historical documents, the cemetery existed in 1830 and its primary caretaker was Jakób Huberman. During the Second World War, the cemetery was destroyed. After the war, the remaining tombstones were stolen. Currently it is used only as farmland. There are no remaining signs of the cemetery. It is unmarked and there are no memorials.
Presumably the cemetery is located in the administrative area of Wilczkowice, Błaszki county, approximately 2.5 km from the center of Błaszki, in a field by the road behind the house plot numbered Wilczkowice 7 in the direction of Zaborów.