Bilyy Kamin New Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Since it appears on Austro-Hungarian maps of the 1860s, it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged not later than mid-19th century. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished soon after WWII, by a new kolkhoz authorities, and the territory used as a field.
The Jews are known from 1629. In the late 17th century, the Jewish community became independent. 345 Jews lived in Bilyy Kamin’ in 1765. In 1892–1902, a school for about 100 Jewish students founded with the support from Baron Hirsch. The Jewish population increased to 1,901 (54% of the total population) in 1880 and severely dropped to 298 (15% of the total population) in 1921 after the waves of immigration, a 1902 fire and miseries of WWI. In 1919, a Zionist youth organization was established but soon stopped its activities. In 1927, a Hebrew school was opened. In 1929, a Zionist organization Ha-Tkhiia and a library were founded. In early 1942, 291 Jews resided here. In November 1942, the local Jews were deported to the Zolochev ghetto, where they were murdered in 1943. The monument was installed on the site of the shooting in 2005.