Bilylivka Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given the oldest preserved tombstone dates to the late 19th century, it can be gathered the cemetery was founded in that era. It cannot be found marked on old maps of the region.
Jews in Bilylivka (Ukr. Білилівка, Rus. Белиловка, Yid. בעלילעווקע) were first mentioned in 1719. The Jewish population rose from 124 in 1765, to 1,008 in 1847, and had reached 2,223 (46% of the town) by 1897. The community maintained a synagogue and two prayer houses as well as a loan fund. The Jews survived several pogroms during the Civil War of 1918–21. In the interwar period, the Jewish population fell to 633 (11%) in 1939. The Germans arrived in July 1941, and all remaining Jews were murdered by September 1941.
The exact date of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, however the earliest tombstone dates back to 1897. According to local residents, some of the stones were used for construction in the 1950s.