Biezun Jewish Cemetery
The Bieżuń Jewish cemetery was established either at the end of the 18th or the beginning of the 19th century, southeast of the market square. The last burial took place in 1940. During the war, the cemetery was devastated and the matzevot were used to pave the streets. Currently, the area of approximately 0.7 hectares is undeveloped. It is overgrown with trees and lush vegetation, and the layout of the cemetery is unclear.
In 2004, under the agreement with the town of Bieżuń, fencing and cleaning of the area was planned, though the work has not been completed. In 2014, at the initiative of Herman Storick and the team of Cmentarze-zydowskie.pl, a plaque with the following inscription was erected: “Jewish Cemetery. Please respect the burial place of the inhabitants of your town.” Fragments of tombstones recovered from the town (several dozen pieces) are stored in the Museum of the Small Town in Bieżuń.
Bieżuń was founded under the Chełmno law in 1406. The development of the town was halted by the fires and wars in the 17th century. The Jewish settlement in the town dates to the beginning of the 18th century. The first wooden synagogue was built after 1760.
In 1808, 389 Jews lived in Bieżuń. In 1857, the Jewish population increased to 697 people, which was caused by an influx of Jews expelled from Mława. In 1841, Izaak Cylkow, a famous rabbi and translator of the Torah from Hebrew into Polish, was born in the town. In 1921, 779 Jews lived there. During World War II, they were deported in several rounds to Mława, Szreńsk, and Strzegowo, and then to Auschwtiz and Treblinka.