Bibrka Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was marked on an Austro-Hungarian military survey maps of 1860s and 1880s. Presumably, it was demolished during and after WWII.
The first records about the Jewish community of Bibrka date back to 1625. In 1765, 713 Jews lived here. In the 18th century, the local Jews were engaged in commerce and crafts. In 1788, a school for boys was opened. From 1800 until 1830, one of the leaders of Galician Hasidism, Rabbi Simche ben Yaacov, a disciple of Rabbi Meschulam-Zusi of Annopolsky, was active here. In 1859, the Jewish population numbered 1,778 (63% of the total population). By 1900, it increased to 2,500 (47% of the total population). In the late 19th century, the Zionist society “Ahavath Zion” was established. Since 1910, a tzadik from Stratin, Yithok-Aizik Lenner, lived in Bibrka. At that time, seven synagogues, heders and four charity organisation were active. During the post-war period, the Jewish population was reduced to 1,480 (34% of the total population) by 1921. The Wehrmacht captured Bibrka on June 30, 1941. 60 Jews were killed during a pogrom which was arranged by locals during the first days of the occupation. On July 10, 1941, a ghetto was established, which imprisoned nearly 3,600 Jews. By late August and early December 1942, more than 1,500 Jews had been deported to the extermination camp of Belzec. On April 13, 1943, the remaining population was executed in the cemetery of the nearby village Volovo. About 40 Jews returned to Bibrka after WWII.