Beszterec Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Beszterec existed as early as in 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery was destroyed at an unknown time and built over.
Beszterec is in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county, built on the edge of the Tisza River and the Nyírség region. According to prehistoric findings, Beszterec has long been a site of human habitation. In old documents dating pre-1290, it was mentioned as “Biztitch.” The population of the village was entirely Hungarian (mostly Calvinist), though there was always one or two huts belonging to the Roma community as well. Until 1871, only 3 Jewish families lived in the village. In 1880, among the town’s total population of 366, 24 were Jews.
In 1910, the village had 979 inhabitants, 66 of whom were Jewish. In the last third of the 1700’s, around 10-15 families who worked in fishing were among the wealthiest in the town. The fishing industry later passed into the hands of the Jewish community. The fish were taken to the cities of Kálló, Nyírbátor, Kemecse, Dorog, Böszörmény, Nagykálló, Debrecen, and Ordea. Rather than bread, fish was the main food item in the area as well the drinking of brandy (palinka). The Beszterec Jewish community came under the jurisdiction of the Kemecse Jewish community. The Jews of Beszterec were deported later from Nyíregyháza during World War II.