Berezuvatka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kirovohrad
District
Ustynivskyi
Settlement
Berezuvatka
Site address
Cemetery does not have an addres. The cemetery is located in south-western corner of the village, around 200 metres north of the bridge on the east side of the river.
GPS coordinates
48.006321, 32.593782
Perimeter length
374 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is covered with mowed seasonal vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
1
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

In 1734, the region came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of Novorossiya, from 1802 it belonged to the Kherson Governorate (Khersonskaya gubernia).
Berezuvatka was established in 1807 as a Jewish agricultural colony under the name Izrailevka. In 1812, there were 26 Jewish families, numbering 118 people, living in the town.
In 1897, the Jewish population of Izrailev comprised 1387 of the 1490 total inhabitants. By that time it had a synagogue, chadarim and in 1909, a Jewish school was established.

The Jewish population of Izrailevka suffered greatly during World War I, the civil war in Russia and from pogroms. As a result the Jewish population dramatically fell. After 1922, Izrailevka became a part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In 1928 the synagogue was closed and in 1929, a Jewish kolkhoz was founded.

Prior to the Second World war around 400 Jews lived in Izrailevka and its surroundings. In 1941, some Jews fled Eastward, however some remained behind. On August 1941, Izrailevka was occupied by the German army. All Jews who remained in the village were shot, either in autumn 1941, or in July 1942.

In 1946 Izrailevka was renamed to Berezuvatka. In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Berezuvatka became a part of the independent Ukraine.

All that remains of the Jewish cemetery, which was established in the mid 18th century, is only one headstone.

View 3D model
Berezuvatka Jewish Cemetery
Berezuvatka Jewish Cemetery
Berezuvatka Jewish Cemetery
Berezuvatka Jewish Cemetery
Berezuvatka Jewish Cemetery
Berezuvatka Jewish Cemetery