Berezivka Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the cemetery was founded in the late 19th or early 20th century. Tombstones from 1915 to 1918 are preserved on the site. Among them there is a tombstone of a man “killed by anarchists in 1918”. The cemetery is marked on a Russian topographic map from 1927, using data from the 1910s. The cemetery was ruined during WWII, but some pre-war tombstones are preserved. The cemetery was used until the 1990s.
The first mention of the Jewish community of Berezivka dates back to the first half of the 19th century. On April 26 and 27, 1881, a pogrom, during which 161 buildings owned by Jews were damaged, took place in the town. Only the synagogue and pharmacy remained untouched. In 1887, the Jewish population numbered 3,458 (56% of the total population). In the early 20th century, a government school for Jewish children operated. A Yiddish elementary school, a Yiddish evening school, a club, and a library were opened during the Soviet period. Also, a number of artisan cooperatives and Jewish kolkhozes were functioning. The Jewish population numbered 3,223 (43% of the total population) in 1926 and was reduced to 1,424 in 1939. On August 10, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied the town. From mid-August until September 1941, 211 Jews were murdered. Thousands of Jews from Bessarabia and Odessa were deported to the Berezivka area, after the inclusion of the town into Romanian Transnistria. Nearly 7,000 Jews were killed. According to epigraphic data, a Jewish population was present in Beresivka until 1989.