Belchatow Old Jewish Cemetery
The old Jewish cemetery in Bełchatów was founded in the first half of the 19th century. Its exact establishment date is unknown. It was located in an area known as Kemfinówka. During World War II, the cemetery was destroyed by the Germans, and the matzevot were used to pave sidewalks and to regulate the Rakówka river basin. After 1945, the government used the area for construction purposes. No tombstones remain in the area. The cemetery had an acreage of 0.2 hectares.
Bełchatów was founded in 1737. In the 19th century it was one of 246 cities where Jewish residents were not subject to settlement restrictions. As a result, in 1809. Jewish residents comprised 11% of the total population, and 80% by 1864. An independent kehilla (organized Jewish community) was founded in Bełchatów in 1820, and by 1824 the community had its own cemetery and synagogue. Anti-Semitic laws were implemented in 1939 following the German occupation of the city. On March 1, 1941, a ghetto was established in the area bordered by Fabryczna, Pabianicka, Sienkiewicza Streets, and Narutowicza Square. In August 1942, the Germans began to liquidate the ghetto. Most of the residents were transported to the death camp in Chełmno.