Bedzin New Jewish Cemetery
The third Jewish cemetery in Będzin was founded in the 1890s in the neighbourhood of Warpie, at the current Zagórska and Wyzwolenia Streets. By World War I, the cemetery was already full, so the local Jewish community decided to establish a new cemetery in the neighbouring Czeladź. Despite this, individual burials still took place in the cemetery until World War II. The cemetery was destroyed by the Germans. In 1943, the area was incorporated into the “Eltes” stone quarry and until mid-1946 it was used for mining. Towards the end of the 1960s, the local government decided to use the cemetery area to expand the local bus terminal (PKS).
Several tombstones were saved before the area was covered with concrete and asphalt and were brought to the old cemetery. Several graves were also exhumed, and the remains moved to the cemetery in Czeladź. Some tombstones were covered with concrete, while others were used to reinforce a nearby overpass. More tombstones were recovered in 2008 by Adam Szydłowski and moved to Podzamcze Street. Currently the area is fenced. There are no tombstones remaining in the fenced area, which has an acreage of 0.3 hectares. The unfenced area is built over with a construction warehouse and a lot for construction vehicles. There is no further information about the cemetery’s history.
The first mention of the village of Będzin dates to 1301. The city was founded under Polish law and then Magdeburg law in the 14th century. The first mention of Jewish settlement in the village dates to 1564, though individual Jewish residents were likely present in the village toward the end of the 13th century. In accordance with a by-law signed by King Stefan Batory in 1583, an autonomous kehilla (organized Jewish community) was founded, with a synagogue, beit din (halachic court), two cheders, a yeshiva, and a cemetery. Due to a fire in the city in 1616, the Jewish population decreased, and only began to grow again at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1676 there were 51 Jewish residents, and in 1787 the number increased to 250. In 1839 Rabbi Awremele Borenstein, the founder of the Sochaczew Hasidic dynasty, was born in Będzin. The Jewish community significantly grew after 1862 when the Tsar removed all restrictions on Jewish settlement. By the end of the 19th century Jewish residents comprised 80% of the city’s population, being 10,839 in total. In 1921, there were 18,210 Jewish residents, comprising 60% of the total population. They were the majority group on the city council and had representatives in the Polish government (such as Dr. Salomon Weinzieher).
In September 1939, the Germans burned down the synagogue with 200 Jews praying inside. The entire Jewish quarter was also set on fire. A ghetto was established at the beginning of 1940, in which 30,000 Jews were confined. Most Jews were used for forced unpaid labour. From October 1940, Jews from Będzin were gradually transported to Auschwitz-Birkenau, where most of them died. After the war, approximately 1,300 Jewish residents returned to the city, though a large number subsequently immigrated to Palestine. The Kielce pogrom in 1946 and the rise of antisemitism until 1968 led an increase in Jewish emigration, and by the 1970s the Jewish community in Będzin was practically non-existent.
Author: Monika Tarajko