Bazar Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemtery establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the 19th century. The majority of the matzevot were used for construction by locals after WWII. It is marked on a map from the 1900s.
It is likely that the first Jews to settle in Bazar (Ukr., Rus. Базар, Yid. באַזאַר) arrived in the late 18th century. As of 1897, there were 833 Jews in Bazar, which was 42% of the total population. After the revolution of 1917, a Zionist society and a Hebrew school were established. As pogroms were frequent during the Civil War of 1918–21, Jewish self-defense groups were formed to protect the community. In the Soviet period, 60 families joined a Jewish collective farm. Natives of Bazar established three agricultural colonies in the Kherson District: Frayhayt, Horepashnik, and Oyflebung. The religious congregation, which had been led by R. Shmaryahu Shinderman since 1913, ceased to exist after the rabbi’s forced emigration to Palestine. As of 1939, Bazar had a Jewish population of 443. The majority of the town’#s Jewish population were murdered by the Nazis. According to the 2001 census, there was no Jewish population in the town.
The cemetery was likely founded in the 19th century. The earliest tombstone dates from 1915, and the cemetery seems to be marked on maps of the same period. After WWII, local residents used some of the tombstones for construction.