Bazaliia Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to archive information published in the O. Rybchyns’kyy’s article, there was on Jewish cemetery in Bazaliia in 1826. It can be assumed that the cemetery emerged in the first half of the 19th century. First, it appears on a Russian topographic map in the 1880s. Later, it was also marked on a Russian map of 1915 and Polish maps of 1939.
The first Jews settled in the late 17th century. In 1765, 240 Jews were inhabitants of Bazaliia. The figure grew to 1,225 and reached a peak of the Jewish population in 1797. One of the Jewish printing presses was in operation from the 18th century. Hasidism were present in the town. There were 820 Jewish residents (24,3% of the total population), and, in 1923, under the Soviets, this number dropped to 353. In 1939, 410 Jews resided in Bazaliia. On July 6, 1941, Bazaliia was occupied by the Wehrmacht troops. A ghetto for the Jews of Bazaliia and neighbouring villages was established in 1942. In July 1942, the Jews of Bazaliia and its outskirts were dispatched to Manivtsy, where they were murdered.