Baryshivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
District
Baryshivka
Settlement
Baryshivka
Site address
Baryshivka Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
50.36588, 31.31328
Perimeter length
150 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstone preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The cemetery was demolished in the 1960s and 1970s, and buildings were constructed on the site. According to local residents, tombstones and other materials were removed and used for construction purposes. Immediately after the demolition of the cemetery, a butchery was built on the site.

The period of emergence of the Jewish community is unknown. In 1897, there were 462 Jews living in Baryshivka (25% of the total population). From 1904 onwards, the rabbi in Baryshivka was Falk Shusterman. The Jewish population of the town decreased to 134 in 1939 (5% of the total population). In November 1941, the entire Jewish population of Baryshivka, numbering more than 100 people, were shot by Nazis. In 1999, there were 15 Jews living in Baryshivka.