Baranivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Baranivka
Settlement
Baranivka
Site address
The cemetery is located west of the houses at the intersection of Levanevs’koho and Gogola streets.
GPS coordinates
50.29012, 27.66633
Perimeter length
447 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
There is a 2m high new metal mesh fence with a bolted door on the northern side. On the southern side there is an old wooden fence. On the eastern and western sides the site is bounded by the walls of the nearest buildings.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with seasonal vegetation. Someone's yard adjoins the territory and part of the cemetery is used for grazing. Three memorial stones to the victims of Shoah.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 40.
Date of oldest tombstone
1910 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1994 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1910. It is marked on maps from the 1890s-1910s.

The town of Baranivka (Ukr. Баранівка, Rus. Барановка, Yid. באַראָנעווקע) has had a Jewish presence from as early as in the 17th century. There were 893 Jews in Baranivka in 1847. By 1897, 1,990 of the town’s 2,095 residents were Jewish (95%). The Jewish community maintained a hospital, a boys’ and a girls’ school and a loan fund. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the Jews were forced to pay a tribute in order to prevent a pogrom at the hands of Petliura’s troops, despite this however a pogrom was staged by the Red Army soldiers in 1920. In the interwar period, the Jewish population gradually declined from 1,602 (30%) in 1926 to 1,447 (23%) in 1939. After the arrival of the Germans in July 1941, Jews were confined in a ghetto, where over 1,000 were killed between July 1941, and January 1942. As of 2001, there were 25 Jews still living in Baranivka and the surrounding areas.
It is unknown when exactly the cemetery was founded. It is marked on maps from around 1900 and the earliest tombstone dates back to 1910.