Barand Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Báránd was established as early as 1886, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery was demolished, and its territory is currently used as part of the local Christian cemetery.
Báránd is a village in the Püspökladány district of Hajdú-Bihar County. It is located about 50 km from Debrecen. In the Middle Ages, Báránd was the property of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oradea. Between 1332 and 1336, it was on the papal tithe list, which meant by that time it already had a church. Information on its Jewish community is very hard to find. In 1880, the total population was 3,578, out of which 42 people were Jewish. The number of Jewish residents then started to grow, peaking in 1910 with 72 people. From that year, the Jewish population declined. In 1941, there were 52 Jewish residents, while the total population was 3,798. In 1944, there was an Orthodox community with 36 members, out of which 9 were taxpayers. There was a janitor, and the Chief Rabbi of Biharnagybajom was the registrar, but the settlement did not have its own rabbi. The only person employed by the community was the shochet (butcher).