Barabas Jewish Cemetery
Although the Jewish cemetery of Barabás is not marked on the cadastral map of 1865, the cemetery existed as early as 1864, according to the date marked on the oldest found gravestone. The most recent gravestone dates to 1927. There is a cenotaph for the Jews of Barabás who were killed in Holocaust.
Barabás is a village in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county, in the Városnamény district, and is located on the Hungarian-Ukranian border. In 1880, of the village’s total population of 1,006, 102 were Jewish, constituting 10% of the population. 30 years later, in 1910, there were still 100 Jewish residents in the village. In that year, a synagogue was built, which has since been demolished. In 1941, there were only 50 Jewish residents, while the town’s population had grown to 1,566. In 1944, the Jewish community in Barabás was an orthodox organization consisting of 52 members, 11 of whom were taxpayers. The Jewish community did not have a caretaker or a rabbi.