Balyn Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but the oldest preserved gravestone relates to the early 18th century. Presumably, first, it was marked on Russian maps of the 1870s. Jews are known from the 18th century. Half of the Jewish community was murdered during the Haidamac massacres. In the 19th century, a synagogue existed. In 1896, Israel-Yehuda Gen became a head of the Rabbinical Court. In the 19th century, the Jews mostly earned their living in crafts. In 1897, 357 Jews (22% of the total population) resided in Balyn. The Germans occupied the town on July 10, 1941. In autumn 150 Jews were murdered outside the town. According to other information, the Jews of Balyn were imprisoned in the ghetto of Dunayivtsi, where they were subsequently executed. On September 4, 1942, 250 Jewish lives were claimed, and artisans were deported to Kamyanets-Podils’kyy.