Balkany Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Balkány existed as early as in 1828, as the earliest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The most recent tombstone discovered in the cemetery was erected in 1965. The cemetery has been fenced and is maintained by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries. The cemetery moreover includes an ohel and a Holocaust memorial.
In 1848, 438 Jews lived in Balkány, most of whom were merchants, though a significant number were artisans and craftsmen. The proportion of those who worked in culture or religious affairs was also remarkably high.